What is a Joomla! site?
Joomla! is an Content Management System (CMS), which enables you to build Web sites and powerful online applications. Many aspects, including its ease-of-use and extensibility, have made Joomla! the most popular Web site software available. Best of all, Joomla! is an open source solution that is freely available to everyone. Because it is top rated, we include it as an easy, few minute installation as part of our DIY Web Hosting and above hosting packages. Should you need any assistance getting started, we can provide you with configuration and adminitstrative tasks at our hourly rate.
What's a Content Management System (CMS)?
A content management system is software that keeps track of every piece of content on your Web site, much like your local public library keeps track of books and stores them. Content can be simple text, photos, music, video, documents, or just about anything you can think of. A major advantage of using a CMS is that it requires almost no technical skill or knowledge to manage. Since the CMS manages all your content, you don't have to.
What are some real world examples of what Joomla! can do?
Joomla! is used all over the world to power Web sites of all shapes and sizes. For example:
- Corporate Web sites or portals
- Corporate intranets and extranets
- Online magazines, newspapers, and publications
- E-commerce and online reservations
- Government applications
- Small business Web sites
- Non-profit and organizational Web sites
- Community-based portals
- School and church Web sites
- Personal or family homepages
Who uses Joomla!?
Here are just a few examples of Web sites that use Joomla!:
- Suncoast Surf Shop (Standup Paddle Boards) http://suncoastsurfshop.com
- Tampa Bay Community Network (Public Access TV) - http://speakuptampabay.org
- Tattle-Trail (RV Trailer Monitoring System) - http://tattle-trail.com
- BioRegenerative Systems (Stem Cell Therapeutics) - http://www.bioregenerativesciences.com
- United Nations (Governmental Organization) - http://www.unric.org
- Raygear X-Shields (Outdoor Recreation Face Shield) - http://raygear.com
- Outdoor Photographer (Magazine) - http://www.outdoorphotographer.com
- PlayShakespeare.com (Cultural) - http://www.playshakespeare.com
- Fillingham Yacht Sales(Yacht Listings) - http://www.fillinghamyachts.com
Design and Expandability
Joomla! CMS is template driven. Templates give your site its look and feel - details such as color scheme, content positioning, and menu locations. One can then go in and customize the chosen template to satisfy any businesses needs. Modules, plug-ins, and components expand the basic Joomla! software to add new and more powerful features like e-commerce shopping carts, multimedia, graphs & charts, calculators and much, much more.
This gives you the ability to create a great looking site, just like the professionals, at a tiny fraction of what it would cost to have a custom site designed and built.
VirtueMart E-Commerce Joomla! Extension.
Virtumart is the popular extension to extend Joomla! to contain a full featured shopping cart for your online store. VirtueMart contains features to allow you to have an online store. And for those wanting to have a professional looking store that goes beyond PayPal buy buttons then this is for you.
- Complete Checkout process that includes calculating shipping, tax and accepts credit cards.
- Inventory control
- Order processing
- Product catalog that allow multiple level categories.
Just need an online catalog to display your product line(s). Viruemart is instantly configurable to turn off the checkout function leaving all the flexibility. You choose just what and how much information you want the potential customer to see. Several of our customers are using VirtueMart as just an online catalog. See our Web Design page for more information.
What do I need to do to get started?
If you have ever filled out a form online you can administer Joomla!. The entire administration is done online using your browser to fill out forms that handle all aspects of configuring and entering your sites content. Even uploading media is done via a form.
There are just a few steps to get started.
- To get started you need to sign up for a hosting package.
- Once your site is setup you will receive an email that will give you the login information.
- When you login to add Joomla! just click on the easy app icon in your control panel.
- Answer the questions in the insaller and your in about a minute your Joomla! site will be ready for you to start adding your content.
- Just login to the Joomla! administration area to add your content and to configure the site parameters to suit your needs.